OkCupid daters may soon be able to say they found love through AI. With ChatGPT, the platform has created a series of questions that it hopes will help its users find each other - even if they find the use of AI in their profiles and chats a little unnerving.
Does AI understand romance? An experiment by dating platform OkCupid suggests it can at least help find it. It had ChatGPT use simple prompts like "What would you ask on a date?" to generate questions designed to break the ice between matches. According to OkCupid, more than 175,000 people have answered the questions.
- Are you an introvert or an extrovert?
- Are you a morning person or a night person?
- How do you like to spend your weekends?
- What do you look for in a partner?
- How do you know when to take a relationship to the next level?
- How do you balance your needs with your partner's needs in a relationship?
Mentions of AI and ChatGPT in dating profiles nearly doubled
ChatGPT hype is also spreading to OkCupid. In January, users mentioned keywords like "AI" and "ChatGPT" in their profiles nearly twice as often as the month before, the company writes.
According to OkCupid, being open about the technology might even help with dating. Singles who thought ChatGPT would be a "lifesaver" got nearly 40 percent more matches than those who were skeptical.
However, most singles are still unsure of how important these tools will be for building and maintaining romantic relationships, the platform said. From its community, OkCupid gleaned some other statistics:
- 52 percent of millennials and 45 percent of Gen Z find the use of AI in profile pictures off-putting.
- 70 percent find the use of AI in creating their own profile or sending messages a breach of trust.
- 52 percent of respondents do not believe AI can replace human interaction today, but 42 percent believe it can in the future.
The dating platform says it has seen a positive response to questions generated by ChatGPT. As a result, more AI questions will be added on a monthly basis throughout the year.